Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fire...again!

During the first 2 weeks of our marriage Stephen decided he was going to make potato chips. Never mind that we had a bag of them, he wanted homemade chips. So, he sliced up some potatoes, turned the oil on, and then decided he needed to walk across the street to get buns for the burgers that were going to go with his chips. Several times I told him not to leave the stove on, its just common sense. His reply? "The oil needs to be really hot". Well, minus a kitchen and a $5000 insurance deduct able you would think he had learned his lesson.

Stephen has been making this homemade popcorn with kernels and oil in a pot on the stove, if you couldn't figure that out for yourself. I asked him to make me some for a movie we were going to watch. We were having a serious discussion and he wanted go to our room and talk in private; Kerri was in the living room. We both completely forgot he has just put the popcorn on, it only takes a minute to cook. Anyways, we were in our room for 2 minutes and we hear Kerri yelling, "Stephen, fire, STEPHEN, FIRE!!". We both hauled into the kitchen and there are 2 feet of flames shooting out of the pot. We were possibly 10 seconds away from the cabinets catching on fire and our home would've been gone no doubt. My mom instincts kicked it, not to mention my previous fire experiences, because Sam was on the other side of the wall. They tell you to put a lid on the pot, but how the crap do you do that without burning yourself? Oh well, I've got a brave man, he just picked up the flaming pot and held it while I sprayed it with the sink sprayer. Note: you're not supposed to put out an oil fire with water because the oxygen in the water makes it steam and the flames will spread, or something like that. I knew not to spray the pot while it was on the stove because it's an electric stove and I didn't want that to catch on fire too.
Luckily Steve didn't catch on fire either. We did have a fire extinguisher, but we took it back because the stupid thing was defective. How reassuring is that?!

Anyways, that would've been a fabulous birthday present if our house has burned down.
The funniest thing about the whole deal was Kerri. She was sitting in a chair in the living room just yelling. There wasn't anything she could've done, but it was just hilarious to run out see the flaming pot and Kerri just sitting in a chair yelling for Steve all the while texting.

3 comments:

Celeste and Joe said...

So...I'm thinking maybe Steve should no longer cook with oil. Happy Birthday!

Britney said...

Oh goodness. Maybe he should tie a string around his finger when the oil is on the stove so he won't forget about it. I've been scared to cook with oil since you told me about the first fire.

Amy said...

He'd probably be wondering why the string was on his finger as our house burned down, LOL.
As long as the oil doesn't burn it shouldn't catch on fire. I try to avoid it anyways.

Sam

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Liam

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lily

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker